Dutch Oven Cobbler
It may be the world’ s most simple recipe and when done right, one of the tastiest. Dutch Oven Cobbler goes by many names – dump cake, campfire cobbler, Boy Scout dump cake and of course the less PC “Hobo Cobbler.” And there are as many variations as there are campfire cooks.
That is one of the fun things about this campfire tradition – you almost can’t go wrong substituting your own favorite ingredients. So yes, if you don’t have an ingredient, feel free to throw something else in.
Other Camping Recipes You Might Like:
Get These FREE!
AND START TO:
Living in an RV, you simply don’t have the space for every single spice or ingredient you can think of, so you learn to make do! One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it only has 4 ingredients. Fruit pie filling, cake mix, butter, and soda pop.
This is my favorite part – just dump them all into the dutch oven and heat it up. The bubbling of the fruit filling, butter, and soda mix in with the dry cake mix to moisten and stir everything. After about 30 minutes or so, you have a dessert that absolutely nobody can resist. Just drop a scoop over some ice cream and enjoy.
Make this dessert and you will become very popular with other campers. Seriously, they will be knocking on your door!
The simplicity makes this a favorite for parents with kids who want to “do” the cooking. Just a bit of parental oversight when near the fire, please!
Dutch Oven Cobbler
2 Cans of fruit pie filling, canned peaches, or canned pineapple
1 box of Yellow Cake Mix- possibly 2 boxes if your dutch oven is larger (12 inch)
1 stick of butter, sliced into pats
1 can of 7-Up, or Sprite
- Prepare about 28-30 coals so that they are ready to cook on
- Oil your dutch oven well before starting
- Open both cans of fruit filling and pour into the bottom of the dutch oven
- Spread the cake mix evenly over top of the filling. A larger dutch oven may require more than 1 box
- Spread the pats of butter evenly over the top of the cake mix
- Pour the soda pop over the entire mixture.
- DO NOT STIR THE INGREDIENTS!
- Close up the dutch oven and place on about 12-14 coals, spread evenly under the oven.
- Place the remaining 14 coals on top of the lid.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Then rotate the oven a half turn. Bake another 20 minutes and then check the top of the cake. It should be a nice baked brown color and will have the fruit filling bubbling up through. If it does not seem done, let it bake for another 15 minutes and check again. With all of the moist ingredients it is not likely you will burn this recipe.
Some Well Known Options:
Dutch Oven Cherry Cobbler: Use cherry filling and white or yellow cake. Mix a little cinnamon in with the cake mix
Black Forest Dump Cake Cobbler: Use cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix, and cola or Dr. Pepper
Peach Dump Cake: Use canned peaches or peach pie filling. Fresh berries can also be added to this one.
Dutch Oven Chocolate Dump Cake: Mix chocolate cake mix with chocolate pudding mix and milk. Pour the batter into the dutch oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake. YUM!
Apple Spice Cobbler: Use apple pie filling, spice cake mix, and rootbeer.
Strawberry Shortcake Cobbler: Use strawberry filling and white cake or Bisquick (and some sugar). When serving, top with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
TOPPING: Try crumbling some brown sugar over the top with the butter. Also a nice sprinkling of cinnamon
Items We Recommend for This Recipe:
We spoke with other campers and this is the dutch oven everyone recommended we buy. We were super impressed that it came with a book of recipes. We absolutely love ours!
The Lodge 12 inch Cast Iron Dutch Oven is oven we use, and many others. Lodge is known as the leaders in cast iron cookware and have been around forever. It you are thinking about a Dutch Oven, don’t mess around- get a Lodge.
Cooking in the Dutch Oven requires checking in from time to time. Keep your hands a safe distance from all of that heat with this simple lifting tool. The cross bar keeps the lid from flipping over, dumping coals into your food.
The Dutch Oven Cobbler is a perfect way for the whole family to enjoy breaking in your new camping toy in style. Everyone can participate and everyone will LOVE the results!