Hi, we are Frank, Gráinne, Conor and Áine- the Roving Foleys. Join us on our family adventures.
We are a family of 4 plus our dog Gypsy. Frank and Gráinne met in 1998 and married in 2002. Since Gráinne is from Ireland, travel was inherent in our relationship- especially when it started getting serious. A couple of years after we got married, we moved over to Dublin and worked and traveled around Europe for a couple of years. It was a fantastic time and instilled in us a love of travelling together and experiencing new places.
PIC When we moved back to the USA, we took a month and went the long way, visiting Thailand and Australia and even made a stop at our honeymoon spot- San Francisco (LOVE that place!)
Once Conor and Áine came along in ’09 and ‘10, we found ourselves falling into the typical routine. Work, work, work to live. A couple of weeks vacation here or there and then back to the grind. We had the waterfront quarter acre on the cul de sac. We even had the minivan and Prius in the driveway.
Gráinne was the stay at home mom and Frank had the corporate job that was really quite good- until it wasn’t. Anyone working in Corporate America can understand just how quickly a change of leadership can flip your level of job satisfaction.
By 2014, we found ourselves wondering what it was all for. Work all week just to mow the lawn on the weekend?A 2-car garage so full of crap we couldn’t fit a car. The American Dream was becoming much less dream and much more nightmare. For us, it just didn’t make sense. So we started asking ourselves (and each other) if this was what we really wanted. Turns out- it wasn’t.
So we decided to make a change. A RADICAL change. Travel was what we really wanted. To see the world. And the road we were on was not going to get us there. We made a new plan. The “Dump It All And Hit The Freekin’ Road Plan.” Things started to get interesting. If we could make money while on the road, we could just buy an RV and go. HOW SIMPLE! See the USA for a couple of years and then- THE WORLD! We started doing research and realized that this is just not that bonkers an idea. There were literally thousands of families doing the exact same thing. Time for some action!
We started early in 2015 by sorting and selling off stuff. Furniture, garage stuff- all of it. Craigslist became our best friend. Funny how once you decide you don’t need all that stuff- it becomes such fun to sell it all for cash. We valued our houses (we had a rental by then) and talked to some Real Estate folks about what should be done to sell. Then we just kept moving forward. Selling, planning, researching, making ready- and of course shopping RV’s. How fun! Those next few months became a whirlwind. We rented a small storage for some important stuff we wanted to keep. While we still had that corporate income we bought the RV and truck.
We pimped our house and talked to our renters about buying theirs (they wanted to.) Then we listed ours FSBO. It sold in 2 days!
Did we just sell our house? OK we are really doing this!
Frank quit his job and we closed on the house at the end of May. June 2015 we were on the road. A future far less determined, far outside the comfort zone, and far more exciting!
Please Explore Out Site And You Will Learn:
- How to get started living on the road: Sign up at the bottom of the page to recieve our 9 Step Guide to getting from the 9-to-5 to a life of adventure and travel. Here are some of the things we cover:
- Making the comminment. (Going nuts)
- Telling Your friends and family (that you’ve gone nuts)
- Selling Nearly Everything (proving that you’re nuts)
- Buying an RV (giving up your nuts)
- Making money in the road (gathering more nuts)
- Much much more (nuts, nuts, nuts)
- Tried and tested advice for daily life on the road
- Our favorite places and RV Park reviews
- Ways to make money while traveling. Find how we run our Amazon Empire as well as ideas for how YOU can work mobile!
- See our resources page to find the best camping gear as well as resources we use for doing business online.
- Join Us online at Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, email and stay in touch. We’d love to hear from you.