The Best Portable Fire Pits for Camping
Ready to step up your camping game? Camping isn’t camping without a cozy fire to sit around. There are multiple benefits to choosing portable propane fire pits over wood burning or traditional fires.
The best portable propane fire pit for our money is the Outland 823 Portable Propane Fire Pit. It is highly portable, efficient, and quite reasonable in price.
However we will look at several of the best fire pits on the market so you can choose the one that is right for you.
Why Consider A Portable Fire Pit
Many of the ones listed are highly portable – just collapse/ un-collapse and turn on your propane. They’re also a time saver – no more stoking a fire, finding fuel and tending to it for hours.
Portable propane fire pits are a cinch to light and stay going for hours and hours. Plus gas fire pits are great for the environment. A virtually smokeless, efficient and ventilated portable propane fire pit won’t leave a trace. No more need to clean up a smoky fire ring.
And a gas fire pit is significantly safer in terms of fire hazard. Love to grill? These propane portable campfires have included accessories and attachments to make outdoor cooking a breeze.
Know what to look for, and how to safely set up your portable propane fire pit. You’re in a season of cozy campfires, cool grilling and tons of fun. Let’s find you the right portable propane fire pit for your needs and budget!
How Do Propane Fire Pits Work?
Portable propane fire pits are a great alternative to a basic fire, where restrictions and safety are a concern. Portable pits are safer, and legal in many places during a fire ban, as we’ll discuss.
All portable propane fire pits are pretty simple – attach your propane tank and open it up. You’ll find different aesthetics and features on different camping pits – you just have to choose the portable pit that fits your needs and tastes.
Love outdoor cooking? Look for a propane fire pit with options for attachments or an included grill. Looking to camp for a while? Some of the larger models are very efficient and great to set up for a weekend.
Is space an issue? Look for a portable propane fire pit that folds up for easy carry and go.
How Long Does A Portable Gas Fire Pit Last?
You should always be conscious of your fire pit, so leaving it on overnight is not recommended, but at full burn a propane fire pit should last at least four hours, depending on the tank size and how high it is run.
If you do a more moderate burn, your pit should last 8 to 9 hours. Always be aware of the location and burn time of your portable propane fire pit. If you are planning a long run, fuel efficiency is important, so you’re making a great investment in a portable propane fire pit.
No more searching or paying for lumber or putting out your fire – most owners choose a portable propane fire pit for the fuel efficiency and movability.
The Pros and Cons of a Portable Fire Pit for Camping
Yeah, who doesn’t love a warm, crackling fire out on a night of camping. There are still some things you should keep in mind if you’re going the portable propane route.
Safer than a regular wood fire, you should always keep a good watch on your portable propane fire pits. Know what area and location is ideal and safe for your fire pit, and never leave a fire unattended.
It’s also important to check local restrictions during a fire ban. Though portable propane fire pits, propane grills, and propane lamps are usually exempt from fire bans, it’s always important to check local campsites for detailed information.
With proper use, and good sense, a portable propane fire pit is a great addition to any camp or trip. Always look at manufacturers instructions and advice and check your local camping guidelines!
- SAFETY: Portable Gas Pits are significantly safer than traditional wood fires. They can also be easily moved around your campsite, and you’re going to know just how much fuel you’ll need on hand before you even light it.
- SIMPLE: Starting a fire is simple- just turn on the gas and light. No having to gather paper, kindling, etc.
- EFFICIENCY: Portable propane fire pits are efficient. You can get a nearly 100% smoke free fire because combustion of a propane camping grill is effectively converting fuel to flame. Make sure to keep vents clear and you should have a very clean, safe burn.
- GREENER: It’s greener: a portable propane fire grill isn’t a hassle and is easy to move and store. You won’t be leaving a fire ring, and if wind conditions make the fire a hazard, it’s easy to move.
- GRILLING: A great grill. Many portable propane fire pits come with a handy grill top for easy set up and a killer hotdog, burger or any of your campfire faves. Easy match up means you don’t have to wrestle with setting up your own grill over uneven or wet ground. Instant roasted marshmallows.
- INSTANT OFF: Instant shutoff. Even if you’re not shutting down a fire for an emergency – it’s just easier to ignite and shut off a propane fire pit. Don’t stay up all night worrying – it’s just the flip of a switch
- NO SMELL: Propane fire pits will not leave your clothes full of that smoke smell.
- REAL FIRE: Even a portable propane fire pit isn’t without it’s dangers. It is consistently safer than a traditional fire, but you should always keep an eye on it and consider your surroundings.
- MORE TO CARRY: You’re going to have to carry it around. Portable propane fire pits aren’t small, and you will have to set them up, and keep your propane tank filled. You can shop quite small portable propane fire pits, but it is something you’ll have to haul around. True, you won’t have to find fuel for a regular log fire, but it’s something to consider.
- NO WOOD: It’s not a traditional fire: Some people might miss the nostalgic feeling of a wood burning fire. A portable propane fire pit doesn’t burn logs, but the same warm feeling and fun can be achieved. Also many portable propane fire pits come with easy cooking set up. You’ll find easier accessories and set up than a traditional fire.
What Should you Look for in a Portable Propane Fire Pit?
- SIZE: Fire pits come in a range of sizes. Some are collapsible and pretty convenient when packed up. Know what size PACKED you’re willing to carry and shop accordingly.
- COST: How willing are you to get fancy? Some portable propane fire pits can be controlled by your smartphone, some are geared towards the outdoor chef, some are ventilated for maximum smoke-free camping. Check the specs and decide what you’re willing to spend, and keep in mind how much you’re willing to haul, and what diameter of grill area you require.
- PORTABILITY: Some short term campers might prefer a smaller, collapsible unit, while dedicated outdoor grillers and vacationers might want something more sturdy. There’s a portable propane fire pit for every need and lifestyle.
Best Portable Propane Fire Pits for Camping in 2021
Ready to jump in? Modern camping calls for an efficient, portable and compact grill. These picks are chosen for their convenience, safety and affordability. Ready to gather around, campers? These are our picks for great portable propane fire pits for camping in 2021:
Kinger Home Portable Propane Fire Pit
Beautiful and functional. If you want a luxury experience, this is your perfect outdoor companion. This 20 inch fire pit puts out 52000 BTU’s. It is lightweight and very portable.
Outland Firebowl 823 Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit
Compact, portable but wow does she work. A very reasonably priced portable propane fire pit, and not bad looking either. An economical choice for the camper looking for a low mess, low stress fire option.
Fire Sense Sporty Campfire
For a very compact package, we recommend this sporty fire pit by Fire Sense. Powerful 60000 B TU output in a 15 inch package. Folding legs increase the portability and make this a go to option for quick use at a tailgate, campsite or day at the beach.
Camp Chef Sequoia Fire Pit
Perfect for creating a relaxing atmosphere in the evening with friends and family, the Sequoia portable propane fire pit can be set up in a couple of minutes and includes its own carry bag.
Outland Firebowl 870 Premium Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit
Another great portable propane fire pit from Outland Firebowls. This is a great combination of durability, affordability and fun. With an output of 58,000 BTU per Hour, you won’t miss out on that great campfire feel. It’s a complete kit, for all your cooking needs and even has an optional conversion kit for natural gas.
Portable Fire Pits Rules & Regulations You Should Know
Even though portable propane fire pits are significantly safer and cleaner than a traditional wood fire, there are certain regulations you should look out for. Always check local restrictions whenever you’re camping.
SOME COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ARE:
Can You Use A Propane Fire Pit During Fire Bans?
One of the big benefits of a portable propane fire pit is that it is generally safer than a traditional fire, and often allowed in areas where there might be bans on wood fires.
It is always important to check the regulations wherever you’re camping. During a fire ban, exactly what is restricted can vary. Always remember – a sudden wind shift or bad placement can mean a disaster.
Look at your location for the safest position for your portable propane fire pit, and keep aware of local conditions and advisories.
Since portable propane fire pits can simply be ‘turned off’ instead of having to be ‘put out’ these along with gas lanterns, gas stoves and gas grills are generally allowed. Always check, but either way, portable propane fire pits are a safer option.
Is It Safe To Use A Propane Fire Pit Inside Or Under A Canopy?
No. Always place your portable propane fire pit in an outdoor, well ventilated space. Portable propane fire pits are generally safer than a traditional fire, but you still need to exercise caution – propane fire pits use an extremely high heat and dangerous fuel.
Even under a gazebo our outdoor canopy is extremely dangerous. The flames and rising heat from your portable propane fire pit will quickly rise and could start a fire. Be safe, always choose an appropriate outdoor setting for your fire pit, never below a structure or even hanging branches.
Will A Portable Fire Pit Damage Concrete Or Asphalt?
Always keep in mind your surroundings and surfaces when you’re setting up your portable propane fire pit. Unlike a traditional fire, portable propane fire pits don’t leave a ring, but with enough use, can wear down concrete and asphalt.
Rocks, gravel and concrete weren’t meant to withstand high temperatures- try lava rocks or another barrier to create a nice looking layer between your propane fire pit and asphalt. It can take very little investment to make your portable propane fire pit more aesthetic and safe.
Can You Use A Propane Fire Pit On Top Of Grass Or Foliage?
Do not set your portable propane fire pit on any plants or anything that could catch fire. Always find a level, non flammable surface for your portable propane fire pit.
Never set your pit on flammable or dry ground. That includes grass, plants or ground covered in dried plant matter. Your fire pit will get hot all around – that includes the base. Also be aware of any overhanging branches or foliage.
Again, check your local area for fire precautions or fire bans, they have great tips for preventing fires from your portable propane fire pit. If you absolutely can’t avoid setting up a portable fire pit on top of grass – wet the area well beforehand and make sure the fire is well tended.
Is It Safe To Leave A Fire Pit On For Overnight Heat?
Is a portable propane fire pit safer than a regular wood fire? Yes. However, it’s still a fire. Tend to you fire pit like you would a regular fire. Keep children and pets away, and only keep your fire pit on when someone is there to tend it. One of the best parts of a portable propane fire pit is the ability to simply ‘turn it off’ when you’re done enjoying it. Be safe, and never leave your portable propane fire pit on when it’s not attended, and certainly do not leave it burning overnight. Get warm another way.
The Bottom Line: Portable Propane Fire Pits Make A Great Addition To Any Camping Trip!
Everyone loves a warm, crackle fire. Portable propane fire pits just make camping better. Not only are they a safe alternative to a traditional fire, they have all sorts of other benefits. You’ll never have to search for fuel- just fill up your propane tanks. There’s very little clean up, and many portable propane fire pits are extremely portable and compact.
Find the one that’s right for you, and happy camping!